Community College Enterprise
Book Review Guidelines
As part of our mission and purpose, we encourage community college
practitioners to review current books and to share those reviews with our
readers. Reviews should be fair, objective, accurate, and sensitive. The
following guidelines assist in writing the reviews.
- Provide a general description of the contents of the book and include
brief, relevant examples that illustrate the subject matter. Explain the
book’s purpose and note its intended audience.
- Make a statement as to the research quality of the publication, i.e.,
whether the book contains primary research and whether the references are
relevant and up-to-date.
- Evaluate the book:
- How well did the author carry out his or her intent?
- How accurate is the book? Consider the source material and
- How well is the book written? Does the writing style help or
- What are the author’s qualifications?
- Do you, as the reviewer, recommend the work? If so, why? If not,
- Conclude with a summary statement of your assessment of the book in
terms of quality, value, style, and appropriate reader audience.
Book Review Format
Provide a citation, title, name of author(s), city in which the publisher is
located, name of publisher, year of publication, number of pages, and price.
Double space all materials. All quoted statements from the book should have
parenthetical page references.
Reviews should be between 500 and 750 words long.
Please attach your manuscript to an email as a Microsoft Word document.
With the review, please send the name of the reviewer, title, affiliation,
and address. For example:
Jane Smith, Faculty Chair, Electronics Department
Blue Skies Community College
156 Cougar Rd.
Aspen, Colorado 23456
The staff may make minor grammatical and style changes in the manuscript
during copy editing prior to publication. The editorial staff reserves the right
to make changes it deems necessary and will forward page proofs for the
reviewer’s approval prior to publication.
Please direct questions to:
Book Review Editor