Art and Design
(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|127118||May 5, 2014
|127121||May 5, 2014
|127122||May 5, 2014
|137153||June 30, 2014
|148106||August 25, 2014
|148109||August 25, 2014
|148148||August 25, 2014
|148161||August 25, 2014
View Course Schedule
This course is a continuation of ART 118. Emphasis on good ceramic form; work with various types of ceramic materials; advanced techniques in shaping, decorating and firing will be covered.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Investigate works of art, ceramics in particular, which encourage positive behavior.
- Explain ways in which the visual arts, ceramics in particular, can function within society.
- Explore the interrelationship of ceramics with other art forms.
- Build forms with clay which combine the multiple construction techniques of handbuilding and wheel throwing.
- Create coil and slab construction.
- Investigate different glazing techniques.
- Compare properties of different clay bodies.
- Examine requirements of structural integrity for large scale ceramic works.
- Explain safety requirements for ceramic vessels which are used for food preparation, storage and serving.