Students will learn commercial meat preparation, its fabrication, portion control and the importance of safe sanitary butchery practice. Students will select and prepare quality meats, fish and poultry for industry consumption and retail use. Students will be prepared to perform these important tasks in a safe and sanitary environment.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the process of trussing of a chicken.
- Demonstrate the process of trussing a chicken.
- Demonstrate the process of butchering a chicken.
- Examine the process of filleting different species of fish.
- Demonstrate the process of filleting different species of fish.
- Demonstrate how to portion butchery meats.
- Demonstrate how to portion seafood products.
- Explain the proper methods of storing meat, fish, poultry, wild game and shellfish products.
- Explain the composition of bone and muscle.
- Identify Primal and Sub-primal cuts of beef, veal, lamb, pork, fish, seafood and game.
- Explain the grading process for beef, veal, lamb, pork, poultry and game.
- Explain the value of a professional butchery in the Culinary field.
- Identify the tools used in the butcher shop, their uses, safety and storage procedures.
- Identify the specialty equipment used in the butcher shop, their uses, safety and storage procedures.
- Demonstrate proper sanitation guidelines for meats and seafood.
| ||142||113736||Butchery|| ||4||Haight MPolcyn B||$185.00||1/16/0||Open||
|T W ||01:00PM-04:20PM||VT625|