(2-0) 2 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|142340||August 25, 2014
|142431||September 16, 2014
|143750||August 25, 2014
View Course Schedule
Lectures on nutrition and nutrition's relationship to heart disease, cholesterol levels and body metabolism are supported by actual meal preparation. Students will learn how to apply sound nutritional theories. The course stresses preparation of healthful foods that are pleasing to both the eye and the palate in order to cater to the growing number of health-minded customers.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify the six major nutrients.
- Identify the importance of the six major nutrients in proper health.
- Identify the foods in which the six major nutrients are found.
- Explain the importance of proper food intake and meal planning for optimal health.
- Explain the importance of proper food intake and meal planning for the prevention and treatment of disease.
- Design a menu based upon assigned dietetic concerns.
- Analyze dietary intake for calories.
- Analyze dietary intake for nutrients.
- Evaluate the recommended requirements for each of the six classes of nutrients.
- Interpret the information found on food labels.
- Demonstrate proper kitchen sanitation skills.
- Demonstrate proper kitchen safety procedures.
- Identify food science concepts in regards to nutrition.
- Utilize computer nutritional software.