Culinary Baking and Pastry Arts
Introduction to Baking and Pastry Skills and Techniques
This course will provide a broad orientation to aspiring bakers and pastry chefs in order to offer a better understanding of the specialized fields of baking and pastry. Discussions will include professionalism, safety and sanitation, equipment identification, function and maintenance. The fundamental baking processes, handling and function of ingredients will also be covered.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain what it takes to be a professional Baker.
- Explain what it takes to be a professional Pastry Chef.
- Explain the principles of proper sanitation and wholesome food handling practices.
- Demonstrate proper sanitation and wholesome food handling practices.
- Explain basic baking techniques.
- Demonstrate basic baking techniques.
- Explain basic pastry techniques.
- Demonstrate basic pastry techniques.
- Assemble the products and tools necessary to successfully set up a proper work station.
- Identify baking and pastry tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate the proper use of baking and pastry equipment.
- Identify the standard food products found in a baking and pastry kitchen.
- Explain the functionality of baking and pastry ingredients.
- Differentiate between mass and volume measurements.
- Demonstrate basic knife skills.
- Demonstrate proper scaling of ingredients.
- Explain the Culinary Arts Department policies and procedures.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.