Child and Family Services
(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|147812||August 25, 2014
|147856||August 25, 2014
View Course Schedule
Child Care Practicum 1
Students will have a supervised practicum experience working directly with children in an early childhood or special needs setting. Students will spend 150 hours over the semester in their practicum placement. Students will have the opportunity to integrate classroom material with on-the-job experience and evaluate the experiences of children in light of the concepts they have learned. Emphasis will be placed on observing and reporting activities of the children.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Practice a variety of observational techniques.
- Identify safety hazards in the early care and education environment and the materials used by children.
- Identify the goals which guide a variety of child care facilities’ programs.
- Assess the motor, intellectual, social and emotional development of children through objective observations.
- Conduct accurate, objective observations which support a thorough and informative case study.
- Demonstrate the early childhood techniques which promote children's positive self concepts, independence, responsibility, and social competence.
- Exercise professionalism within the practicum placements.
- Verify the Child Protection Law as related to mandated reporters.
- Investigate curriculum offerings within an educational center.