Wine and Spirits (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course will provide comprehensive, detailed information about the origins, production and characteristics of all types of alcoholic beverages, including beer, wine and distilled spirits, such as whiskies and brandies. Attention will be given to table, sparkling and dessert wines. The student will gain an understanding of regional beverage styles of North America, the British Isles, France, Italy, Germany, the Iberian Peninsula and the Southern Hemisphere. Production practices and regulations, climatic and political influences, beverage characteristics and deductive evaluation methods will be studied. This is an elective course.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Students must be at least 18 years of age to take this course [MCL 436.1703 Section 703, (10)].
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Discriminate beverages by type, style, manufacturing process, age, ingredients and region of production using the deductive evaluation process.
- Demonstrate how to order wine in a restaurant setting.
- Recommend a beer, wine or spirit pairing that complements a food course or choice.
- Examine laws governing the production and marketing of beers, wines and spirits worldwide.
- Demonstrate how to correctly serve a variety of beers, wines and fortified wines.
- Evaluate beers, wines and spirits using a deductive process involving appearance, aroma and taste.
- Relate the influences that geography, climate, culture and economies have on fermented and distilled beverage production worldwide.
- Explain the processes and technologies used to produce beer, wine and spirits.
- Outline the role of professional Sommelier in assisting guests choosing beer, wines, spirits and cigars appropriate for the setting, course, occasion and desired price point.
- Summarize characteristic grape varieties, regional influences and flavor profiles for North American, French, Italian, German, Iberian and Southern Hemisphere wines.
- Interact with wine consultants in the retail setting to assemble a list of wines with specified characteristics and labeling features.
- Interpret wine labels and online information to become an educated consumer and make informed purchase decisions.
| ||210||143889||Wine & Spirits|| ||3||Weinkauf R||$132.00||20/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.