Critical Reading and Thinking Applications
This course focuses on developing brain-based comprehension strategies to actively read and process information from a variety of texts. Students will study test taking, including proper question/answer techniques. They will learn a variety of vocabulary strategies as well as strategies to critically analyze, synthesize and evaluate argumentative and expository essays.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- COLLS 50 or Reading Placement Score ACT 15 - 17 / CPT 57 - 69.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies for various types of written material.
- Differentiate between stated and unstated main ideas and supporting details in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Analyze vocabulary word parts and context clues in paragraphs, essays and texts.
- Identify major organizational writing patterns in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify author's purpose and point of view in paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Recognize valid inferences in various paragraphs, visuals, essays and texts.
- Identify the central point and major supporting elements in visuals, essays and texts.
- Document important events while reading an autobiography and generate short essays.
- Use appropriate organizational, summative, notational and/or visual techniques to integrate related information.
- Demonstrate appropriate test preparation and test taking techniques.
- Identify essential elements of an argument.
- Formulate a valid, documented response to an argument.
| ||053||120501||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wroblewski V||$13.00||19/23/0||Open||
|M W R ||08:30AM-10:09AM||MC035|
|M W R ||10:15AM-11:15AM||MC040|
| ||053||140513||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Boyde S||$13.00||19/20/0||Open||
|T R ||02:00PM-02:54PM||MC035|
|T R ||03:00PM-03:54PM||MC050|
| ||053||140519||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Boyde S||$13.00||20/20/0||Open||
|T R ||09:00AM-09:54AM||MC035|
|T R ||10:00AM-10:54AM||MC050|
| ||053||140524||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wernholm A||$13.00||20/20/0||Open||
|M W ||09:00AM-09:54AM||MC035|
|M W ||10:00AM-10:54AM||MC050|
| ||053||140526||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Wroblewski V||$13.00||20/20/0||Open||
|M W ||10:00AM-10:54AM||MC035|
|M W ||11:00AM-11:54AM||MC050|
| ||053||140527||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Raia M||$13.00||20/20/0||Open||
|T R ||12:30PM-01:24PM||MC035|
|T R ||01:30PM-02:24PM||MC050|
| ||053||140528||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Anter N||$13.00||19/20/0||Open||
|M W ||12:00PM-12:54PM||MC035|
|M W ||01:00PM-01:54PM||MC050|
| ||053||140533||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Boyde S||$13.00||20/20/0||Open||
|T R ||11:30AM-12:24PM||MC015|
|T R ||12:30PM-01:24PM||MC050|
| ||053||140553||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Meister H||$13.00||20/20/0||Open||
| ||053||246136||Critical Read Think App|| ||4||Milnes C||$13.00||24/24/0||Open||