(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|141503||September 16, 2014
View Course Schedule
Modern English Grammar
This is the first of a two-part sequence (ENG 050/055) designed to prepare students for composition courses. The course content focuses on major grammatical concepts and writing. A grade of 2.0 or better in ENG 050 is necessary to enter ENG 055.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify parts of speech correctly: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, and conjunctions.
- Identify sentence parts correctly: subjects, verbs, phrases, and clauses.
- Express complete thoughts using simple, compound, complex, and compound/complex sentences.
- Apply conventional punctuation correctly to all types of sentences.
- Use a dictionary and thesaurus to identify words types and build vocabulary.
- Compose well developed paragraphs.
- Revise paragraphs for coherence, accuracy, and clarity.
- Edit paragraphs for sentence skills: grammar, spelling, punctuation, and word choice.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
- Develop proficiency in modern grammar.