(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|141438||August 25, 2014
View Course Schedule
Introduction to Literature - Shakespeare
This course develops standards for critical evaluation using elements of drama and poetry. Students read and analyze selected Shakespearean works to understand and appreciate one of Western civilization's greatest playwrights.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ENG 101 with minimum grade of 2.0 or consent of instructor.
- ENG 102 recommended.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Analyze a number of selected plays and sonnets of Shakespeare.
- Apply dramatic elements for critical evaluation of Shakespeare's plays.
- Apply poetic elements for critical evaluation of Shakespeare's sonnets.
- Interpret plausible meanings of important scenes and passages.
- Evaluate staging problems during Shakespeare’s times.
- Research the historical and social contexts of Shakespeare's plays and sonnets.
- Evaluate the historical and social contexts of Shakespeare's works.
- Compare film adaptations of Shakespeare's plays to the actual works.
- Write a documented research paper about historical, social, literary and/or cinematic interpretation of Shakespeare’s works.