English as a Second Language
English Grammar and Basic Writing Skills
This course is part of a series of courses designed to introduce non-native speakers of English to the skills they will need to succeed in an academic environment where English is spoken. The content of this course focuses on major grammatical concepts including parts of speech, sentence functions and sentence patterns.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Sentence Skills CPT 35-50.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Utilize appropriate parts of speech in written communication.
- Construct complete and accurate sentences using proper sentence structure.
- Generate basic paragraphs using proper format including topic sentence, body and conclusion.
- Analyze text for accurate punctuation.
- Create written text using correct punctuation.
- Differentiate correct use of verb tenses in writing.
- Illustrate the use of correct grammar when producing written communications.
- Formulate vocabulary by building words using word parts.
- Create clear written communication with a minimum of errors that would impede comprehensibility.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.