English as a Second Language
Listening and Speaking 1 (3-1) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course for English-language learners is the first in a guided series of ESL listening and speaking skills classes. The content of this course, taught in group and language lab settings, builds listening and speaking skills in personal and social contexts. Students will learn and practice short conversations on personal and daily topics. Students develop vocabulary, grammar and improve fluency.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test. Students also may be required to complete a speaking skills assessment.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Produce short conversations on everyday activities using appropriate conversation skills.
- Formulate simple instructions and questions to gain information.
- Express basic functions such as likes and dislikes, preferences, clarifications and lack of understanding.
- Utilize basic vocabulary accurately when speaking.
- Construct questions based on simple oral passages.
- Deliver a simple oral report.
- Employ level-appropriate facial expressions and gestures to make meaning clear.
- Identify simple information from a conversation in familiar contexts.
- Discover key vocabulary words in contextualized conversations.
- Distinguish main idea and supporting details in short listening segments.
- Produce English sounds alone and in words.
- Demonstrate basic stress and intonation patterns.
| ||064||141716||Listening and Speaking 1|| ||4||Dage M||$37.00||19/20/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.