English as a Second Language
Reading and Vocabulary 2 (3-1) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course for English-language learners is the second in a guided series of ESL reading and vocabulary skills classes. This course, taught in group and language lab settings, continues to prepare students for reading success through cultural awareness and increasing fluency in English. Students develop additional strategies using the reading process to improve comprehension and fluency. Students expand their word power base through additional guided vocabulary building skills.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test or a minimum grade of 2.0 in ESL 060.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Incorporate emerging critical reading strategies through the three-step reading process: before, during and after reading.
- Predict the content of a passage using previewing and prior knowledge.
- Relate key information for comprehension using basic text markers, transitions and connectors.
- Identify stated main ideas and simple implied main ideas within paragraphs and short readings.
- Distinguish supporting details from main ideas within paragraphs and short readings.
- Express basic inferences using support from the readings.
- Organize key information from readings in assorted basic graphics, such as charts, illustrations and pictures.
- Interpret compare and contrast pattern of organization using graphic organizers.
- Summarize information and opinions from two texts to compare with reader's own opinion.
- Summarize key information from paragraphs and short readings using support from the readings.
- Document key events in a short biography with support from readings.
- Express personal opinions and reactions to readings in oral and written responses.
- Expand vocabulary building strategies with emphasis on fundamental word parts, such as prefixes, suffixes, synonyms and antonyms, while selectively using a monolingual English dictionary.
- Explore emerging strategies for using contextual clues while reading to aid with new vocabulary development within texts.
- Apply fundamental test-taking strategies such as, multiple choice, true/false, matching and short answers.
| ||070||141720||Reading and Vocabulary 2|| ||4||Fichtenberg C||$37.00||17/20/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.