English as a Second Language
(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|111707||January 27, 2014
View Course Schedule
English Communication Skills
This course is part of a series of courses designed to introduce non-native speakers of English to the skills they will need to succeed in an academic environment where English is spoken. The focus of this course is on high level grammar, communication skills including listening and vocal features (such as volume and intonation) and nonverbal communication skills.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Sentence Skills CPT 51-70 or successful completion of ESL 051.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Express thoughts accurately using oral and written skills.
- Construct sentences and paragraphs showing appropriate use of grammar.
- Utilize vocabulary, verbal and nonverbal skills correctly in formal and informal situations.
- Apply appropriate oral feedback.
- Formulate a valid response to questions.
- Analyze vocabulary words utilizing context, structure and dictionary strategies.
- Assess word parts to assist with new vocabulary.
- Interpret contextual clues to aid with new vocabulary.
- Demonstrate effective presentation skills to convey ideas.