English as a Second Language
(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|111706||January 27, 2014
View Course Schedule
English Writing and Reading Skills 2
This course is a continuation of the ESL 101 course. It is designed for non-native students who need further composition experience in preparation for English 050, 055 or 101. The primary focus of this course will be to continue building grammatical and writing competencies as well as increase critical thinking and reading comprehension skills.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- A grade of 2.0 or better in ESL 101 is required to enter ESL 102.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Design essays according to the writing process: Prewriting, writing, revising, editing and proofreading, and publishing.
- Express thoughts accurately and clearly in writing with minimum grammatical errors that impede understanding.
- Apply all parts of speech to enhance writing.
- Differentiate simple, compound and compound-complex sentences.
- Investigate the components of an essay.
- Predict the development for plot, characterization, setting and climax in literary work.
- Summarize the theme of a short story.
- Compose descriptive, comparison-contrast, cause-effect and classification essays.
- Critique essays for sentence skills: grammar, spelling, punctuation and word choice.