Earth Science for Elementary Teachers
This course introduces earth science topics and integrates pedagogical methods appropriate for elementary school teachers. The course will help prospective teachers create a resource base of knowledge and activities for teaching earth science and develop teaching strategies based on how children learn science. Teaching strategies include inquiry-based strategies and active, cooperative and collaborative learning strategies. The course includes lecture, peer teaching, demonstrations and lesson plan development.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the interrelationship of the hydrosphere, geosphere, and the atmosphere.
- Explain Earth processes.
- Interpret geographical tools, such as maps, aerial photos, and satellite images.
- Summarize the constructivist model applied to teaching elementary school grades.
- Acquire a resource base of lesson plans, activities, and references to teach earth science at the elementary level.
- Demonstrate mastery of Michigan Curriculum Framework Science Content Benchmarks for Geosphere, Hydrosphere, Solar System, and Atmosphere.
- Illustrate the active learning teaching strategy in the required peer teaching lessons.
- Explain the variable composition and temperature gradient for the four atmospheric layers.
- Summarize the importance of atmospheric processes for life on earth.
- Summarize the inputs and outputs of the Earth’s energy budget.
- Explain weather processes and elements, including radiation, temperature, humidity, pressure, and prevailing winds.
- Explain the spatial distribution of water on earth, and the components of the hydrologic cycle.
- Explain the processes of geomorphology, including tectonic, fluvial and eolian processes.
- Investigate local hydrology by working in teams to perform field work in a local stream.
- Analyze the components of a Geographic Information System.
| ||105||144704||Earth Science Elem Teachers|| ||4||Glass-Boyd C||$121.00||19/24/0||Open||