Health Information Technology
Medical Terminology (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course introduces the student to the fundamentals of the language of medicine. Definitions, pronunciations, spelling and abbreviations of anatomic, symptomatic, diagnostic and operative terms pertaining to each anatomical system of the body will be reviewed. Terms pertaining to pharmacology, clinical laboratory, radiology and pathology will also be explored.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify basic prefixes, suffixes and combining forms used in the medical language.
- Construct medical terms utilizing prefixes, suffixes and combining forms.
- Divide medical terms into their prefix, suffix and combining forms and define each part.
- Convert lay terminology to medical terminology.
- Identify terms that apply to the structural organization of the body.
- Spell medical terms correctly.
- Explain medical terms related to signs, symptoms and disease conditions affecting the digestive system.
- Explain medical terms related to signs, symptoms and disease conditions affecting the urinary and reproductive systems.
- Explain medical terms related to signs, symptoms and disease conditions affecting the nervous system.
- Explain medical terms related to signs, symptoms and disease conditions affecting the cardiovascular system.
- Explain medical terms related to signs, symptoms and disease conditions affecting the respiratory system.
- Explain medical terms related to signs, symptoms and disease conditions affecting the blood and lymphatic systems.
- Explain various musculoskeletal disease conditions and terms related to bone fractures.
- Identify lesions, signs and symptoms and pathologic conditions that relate to the skin.
- Explain medical terms related to abnormal conditions that may affect the eye and ear.
- Identify the abnormal conditions resulting from excessive and deficient secretions of the endocrine glands.
- Classify medical terms that describe psychiatric symptoms and disorders.
- Relate diagnostic procedures to medical conditions.
- Write singular and plural forms of medical terms.
- Interpret frequently encountered medical abbreviations, acronyms and eponyms.
- Relate laboratory tests and clinical procedures to medical conditions.
- Interpret the medical language used in reports such as chart notes, radiology reports, case studies and so forth.
- Utilize library research techniques including online references and internet-based sites.
| ||104||142949||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Harper E||$12.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||104||142745||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Scheller J||$12.00||27/31/0||Open||
| ||104||142924||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Scheller J||$12.00||29/31/0||Open||
| ||104||147205||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Duke K||$12.00||25/30/0||Open||
| ||104||247201||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Duke K||$12.00||29/31/0||Open||
| ||104||247207||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Taylor K||$12.00||31/31/0||Open||
| ||104||247256||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Pizzino S||$12.00||30/31/0||Open||
| ||104||247266||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Pizzino S||$12.00||30/31/0||Open||
| ||104||122904||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Scheller J||$30.00||3/31/0||Open||
| ||104||122905||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Scheller J||$30.00||17/31/0||Open||
| ||104||227256||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Pizzino S|| ||21/31/0||Open||
| ||104||132902||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Harper E||$30.00||17/31/0||Open||
| ||104||112412||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Scheller J||$30.00||8/31/0||Closed||
| ||104||112432||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Scheller J||$30.00||2/31/0||Closed||
| ||104||112493||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Harper E||$30.00||4/31/0||Closed||
| ||104||112380||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Scheller J||$30.00||2/31/0||Closed||
| ||104||112910||Medical Terminology ||Online||4||Harper E||$30.00||8/31/0||Closed||
| ||104||117230||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Taylor K|| ||5/30/0||Open||
| ||104||217209||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Duke K|| ||17/31/0||Open||
| ||104||217257||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Crump T|| ||17/31/0||Open||
| ||104||217258||Medical Terminology|| ||4||Pizzino T|| ||16/31/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.