Health Information Technology
(2-0) 2 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|217251||January 6, 2014
View Course Schedule
Computer Applications in Healthcare
This course is an introduction to the theory and practical methodology of healthcare information systems utilized in a health information management (medical record) department. The course will introduce the student to information systems used in healthcare organizations. The student will develop an understanding of the role of the health information technician in information systems planning and development. The student will be introduced to emerging technologies in healthcare information systems.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Maintain health data (such as data elements, data sets and databases).
- Apply knowledge of data base architecture and design (such as data dictionary) to meet departmental needs.
- Use appropriate electronic or imaging technology for data/record storage.
- Generate reports using appropriate software.
- Apply confidentiality and security measures to protect electronic health information.
- Protect data integrity and validity using software or hardware technology.
- Apply departmental and organizational data and information system security policies.
- Use data from audit trail and data quality monitoring programs.
- Apply current laws, accreditation, licensure and certification standards related to health information initiatives from the national, state, local and facility levels.
- Differentiate the roles of various providers and disciplines throughout the continuum of healthcare and respond to their information needs.
- Use technology, including hardware and software, to ensure data collection, storage, analysis and reporting of information.
- Use common software applications such as spreadsheets, databases, word processing, graphics, presentation, e-mail and so on in the execution of work processes.
- Apply policies and procedures to the use of networks, including intranet and internet applications to facilitate the electronic health record (EHR), personal health record (PHR), public health and other administrative applications.
- Participate in the planning, design, selection, implementation, integration, testing, evaluation and support for EHRs.