Health Information Technology
Health Information Technology Practicum
This course emphasizes application of health information process and critical thinking skills in performing advanced health information technology functions. Theoretical content will focus on electronic health records, paper records and hybrid records. Health information technology software applications will include chart tracking, deficiency analysis, coding and abstracting, master patient index, release of information and data analysis. Health information technology skills will be performed in a laboratory setting.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Collect data for clinical indices/databases/registries, quality management, utilization management, risk management and other related studies.
- Analyze data (such as quality measures and health record documentation).
- Contribute to policies, procedures and resource requisitions in relation to job functions.
- Use common software applications such as spreadsheets, databases, word processing, graphics, presentation and e-mail in the execution of work processes.
- Ensure patient record documentation meets state, federal and accrediting body rules, laws and standards.
- Control access to health information.
- Respond to release of information requests from internal and external requestors following state and federal laws, regulations and guidelines.
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of the patient record according to applicable guidelines.
- Assign diagnostic and procedure codes based on health record documentation.
- Create queries when documentation deficiencies are identified.
- Use technology, including hardware and software, to ensure data collection, storage, analysis and reporting of information.
- Use specialized software in the completion of HIM processes such as a patient identification, record tracking, release of information coding, grouping, registries, billing, quality improvement and imaging.
- Compile a professional practice procedure manual to reflect the analysis of the health information management functions performed or observed.
| ||255||217814||HIT Practicum ||Hybrid||2||Scheller JTaylor K||$186.00||1/24/0||Open||