World Masterpieces (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course serves as an introduction to some of the great works of art and music in the Western world, from Greek civilization to the present. The course will cover the major periods/styles in art and music history: Greek, Roman/Early Christian, Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern (1900-1945) and Post-Modern (1945-present). Art and music masterpieces to be studied will be selected from the main repertoire of significant works of the Western world. The course will also cover fundamentals of integrative art and music appreciation. A background in art and/or music is not required.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify the major periods in art and music history.
- Examine the fundamentals of art appreciation, including but not limited to: concepts of line, perspective, dimension; concepts of color, texture, medium; styles and philosophies of the artists studied.
- Examine the fundamentals of music appreciation, including but not limited to: concepts of rhythm, melody, harmony, tone color; the basic musical forms (sonata-allegro, theme and variations, imitative forms, etc.); styles and philosophies of the composers studied.
- Investigate works of art on an artistic and formal level.
- Investigate works of ‘classical’ music on an artistic and formal level.
- Identify the major art and music works and artists/composers studied.
- Interpret the main humanities themes found in major works of art and music.
- Apply known information about forms/genres/styles of certain types of art and music to unknown works.
- Illustrate how major works of art and music influenced later styles and trends in art and music history.
| ||150||140801||World Masterpieces|| ||3||Nissen J||$12.00||26/31/0||Open||
| ||150||110801||World Masterpieces|| ||3||Nissen J|| ||0/31/0||Closed||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.