Art and Music in Western Civilization: Field Study - France (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course is a humanistic study of the arts, culture and history in concentrated form through field study. Course includes art forms and functional styles of historical periods as they relate to universal principles. The course will include studies in French history, culture and geography. The course will conclude with a ten-day trip to Paris, France which will include visits to the Louvre Museum, Musee d'Orsee (and other museums/galleries), Notre Dame Cathedral (and other cathedrals), day trips to Versailles, Giverny, St. Germain, St. Denis and other culturally and historically significant centers to facilitate a live, first-hand encounter with French arts and culture.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
- Sign up for the international tour.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine the broad scope of French history, culture, and peoples, and their influence on Western civilization.
- Explain the greater contributions of France in the development of the European community and her role in the development of the Western world.
- Explain the significant contributions to the Humanities made by French artists, architects, and composers.
- Identify specific works by French artists, architects, and composers.
- Compare the similarities and differences of particular aspects of French culture with American culture.
- Investigate the role the arts played in the larger scope of France's cultural and historical development.
- Explore a deeper awareness of his/her own life and culture by learning about and experiencing a completely different culture and life value system.
- Apply that newly found perspective to his/her humanistic life experience.
- Participate responsibly in all tour activities as an ambassador of Schoolcraft College.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.