Mass Media and Popular Culture
This course is an introduction into the nature of mass communication and their relationship with the public. The course will analyze, assess and evaluate popular culture and mass media. Focus will be on the various forms of media to include radio, television, film, newspaper and advertising to determine how they influence and manipulate the ways you relate to yourself and others. Examination will include the history, economics, power and ethical consideration of media outlets.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify how mass media systems evolved.
- Investigate the operation of mass media systems.
- Analyze values and attitudes in popular culture mediums such as film, television, advertising and music.
- Analyze the social and political complexities of contemporary popular cultural phenomena.
- Examine the influence of mass media on popular culture.
- Identify ethical issues in mass media.
- Determine which skills are necessary for becoming a discriminating critic and consumer of the mass media.
- Enhance social awareness as a member of popular culture.
- Express opinions and views effectively and responsibly in class discussions.
| ||212||110804||Mass Media & Popular Culture|| ||3||Ditouras H|| ||0/31/0||Closed||