(1-15) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|227801||May 5, 2014
|247810||September 16, 2014
View Course Schedule
The student will participate in a non-paid externship under the direction of a physician and the office manager or supervisor. The externship is structured to provide experience in performing administrative and clinical procedures in a physician office, clinic or ambulatory healthcare setting. The student will interact with other healthcare professionals performing and observing skills of a medical assistant. It is an opportunity that will allow a student to apply theory to practice.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Successful completion of all academic and medical assisting courses.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the basic functions of the externship site.
- Explain the skills of the general, clinical and administrative aspects of medical assisting.
- Assess the externship activities.
- Assess the skills performed and observed.
- Research a job search as a medical assistant.
- Develop a resume and cover letter.
- Compile an office procedure manual.
- Prepare the application for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Prepare for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.
- Complete a Mock Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination.