This course includes the basic elements of geometry including deductive reasoning, formal proofs and elementary construction with straight edge and compass.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- MATH 53 or equivalent with grade of 2.0 or better.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Apply geometry terminology and symbolism to lines, angles, triangles and circles.
- Formulate direct proofs using deductive reasoning.
- Formulate indirect proofs using deductive reasoning.
- Formulate proofs demonstrating triangles are congruent.
- Formulate proofs demonstrating triangles are similar.
- Explore properties of parallel lines.
- Explore properties of similar polygons.
- Apply the Pythagorean theorem.
- Calculate the area of a rectangle, parallelogram, triangle, trapezoid, circle, and regular polygon.
- Construct geometric figures using a compass and a straight-edge.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.