Metallurgy and Materials Science
Structure and Properties Laboratory (2-2) 3 Cr. Hrs.
An experience oriented course with emphasis on lab techniques and equipment required for the macro and microstructural evaluation of metals produced by industrial processes. Topics covered in the course include optical systems, sectioning and polishing, mounting techniques, etching, specialized measurement technology and photo-microscopy.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- MET 102 or may be taken concurrently.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Acquire practical laboratory skills based on standard practices established by the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM).
- Practice laboratory safety.
- Practice basic metallographic/materialographic sample preparation techniques.
- Practice advanced metallographic/materialographic sample preparation and measurement techniques.
- Prepare microstructures of plain carbon and alloy steels.
- Prepare microstructures of cast iron.
- Prepare microstructures of stainless steel.
- Prepare microstructures of aluminum.
- Prepare microstructures of copper, brass and bronze.
- Prepare microstructures of ferrous and non-ferrous weldments.
- Use universal specimen preparation techniques and equipment.
- Use chemical etching techniques to reveal microstructural phases and constituents related to industrial alloys.
- Acquire laboratory experience in optical microscopy and microhardness testing.
- Use photographic and computerized systems for microstructural image retrieval and storage.
- Design a basic metallographic/materialographic laboratory.
- Develop written laboratory procedures using guidelines established by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
| ||152||144903||Structures & Properties Lab|| ||3||Jordan D||$239.00||16/16/0||Open||
| ||152||114954||Structure & Properties Lab|| ||3||Jordan D||$121.00||11/16/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.