Introduction to Plastic Materials
This course provides an introduction to plastic materials selection and testing. Students will gain an understanding of plastic selection criteria based upon chemical and physical properties of thermoplastic and thermoset materials and how this choice relates to part performance. In addition, students will be introduced to basic physical, analytical and mechanical tests that are critical in the selection process. Finally, there will be a brief overview of the common techniques used in polymer processing.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify advantages of different thermoplastic and thermoset materials.
- Discriminate between the chemical structure and properties of the different thermoplastic and thermoset materials.
- Outline the selection process to identify the correct plastic material for specific applications.
- Distinguish between the basic processes used to manufacture thermoplastic and thermoset materials.
- Recommend appropriate physical test methods used to evaluate the performance of plastic materials.
- Recommend appropriate analytical test methods used to evaluate the performance of plastic materials.
- Perform basic mechanical tests on plastic material samples.
- Interpret results of basic mechanical tests on plastic material samples.
- Demonstrate ability to use online databases for plastic material selection.
- Adhere to plastics industry safety guidelines.
| ||130||145030||Intro Plastic Materials New!|| ||3||Sardanopoli A||$25.00||15/16/0||Open||