(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|141839||August 25, 2014
View Course Schedule
Music Theory 1
Harmonic progression; chords of 1st and 2nd inversion will be the format of this course. Phrase structure and cadences will be introduced. Technique of harmonization and non-harmonic tones will be explored.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- A basic knowledge of scales, key signatures, intervals and triads.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Read music fundamentals.
- Write music fundamentals.
- Demonstrate increased speed in reading and writing music fundamentals throughout the course.
- Partwrite in root position.
- Partwrite using inversions.
- Construct seventh chords in all forms and inversions.
- Harmonize a chorale-like melody.
- Partwrite non-harmonic tones.
- Analyze the harmonic content of music excerpts.