Music Theory 2
This is the second course in the Music Theory sequence. Students will be introduced to chord progressions, harmonization, nondominant seventh chords, altered non-harmonic tones, secondary dominants and modulation to closely-related keys. Students will be introduced to music notation software. Students will create an original composition.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Harmonize a given melody.
- Harmonize an original melody.
- Identify nondominant seventh chords.
- Construct secondary dominant chords.
- Analyze excerpts containing secondary dominant chords.
- Analyze excerpts containing modulation to closely-related keys.
- Analyze complete works of music.
- Create music using music notation software.
- Compose an original piece of music that adheres to the rules of common practice.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.