(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|111855||January 6, 2014
View Course Schedule
Music Technology 1
This course is an introduction to the fundamentals of music-making using computer hardware and software. The course will examine the basic functions of digital audio workstation (DAW) software as well as hardware and software synthesizers through hands-on experience and experimentation. The course will also introduce the student to current software applications that emphasize music performance and composition with the assistance of MIDI hardware and a desktop computer.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate the application of MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) and the data protocol transmitted via MIDI.
- Demonstrate the basic functions of a multitimbral synthesizer.
- Demonstrate the basic functions of an audio interface.
- Demonstrate the basic functions of a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software program.
- Demonstrate the function of digital audio in the context of DAW software.
- Create music using keyboard controllers and other MIDI devices.
- Create music using synthesizers and digital audio through the use of DAW software.
- Determine appropriate technology for specific musical needs.
- Resolve problems that arise in using music technology.