Applying for a Direct Student Loan
General Direct Student Loan Requirements:
- Apply and complete the financial aid application process
- Be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) which is having a 2.0 grade point average, 67% completion rate and have attempted fewer than 90 credits. Students on financial aid probation, warning or termination are not eligible for student loans.
- Enroll and attend at least 6 credit hours for the semester you request loan funds.
- Complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) if this is your first loan at Schoolcraft College.
To request a Direct Student Loan you must:
- Since student loans are a type of financial aid, you must submit the FAFSA for processing. Follow the directions listed previously under How do I apply for financial aid? Once your financial aid file is complete, the Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your financial aid eligibility.
- Successfully complete online entrance loan counseling at www.studentloans.gov. If you have previously completed online entrance counseling at this Website and indicated Schoolcraft College, you do not need to do it again.
- Entrance counseling may be done from any computer with Internet access. You may use the computers at the Schoolcraft College Bradner Library on the Livonia campus, at the Radcliff Center Library in Garden City or in the Office of Financial Aid. If you are a current student, you may use the campus computer labs.
- Successfully sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for the Direct Loan program (Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan) if you have not done so previously at Schoolcraft. The website is www.studentloans.gov.
- Complete and submit a Direct Student Loan Request Form which is located on the Financial Aid home page.
- After you submit a loan request, the Office of Financial Aid will check your eligibility for loan funds. If you meet the requirements, you will receive an email indicating you’re your loan will be processed. When your award is processed, you will receive an email notification from our office and it will appear in WebAdvisor. Once your loan appears in WebAdvisor, only then, may you use it to register for classes.
- If you do not meet the eligibility standards you will receive an email indicating the issues that prevent the Office of Financial Aid from offering you student loan funds.
Students whose student status is “Guest” or “Non Degree” are not eligible student loan funds.
Schoolcraft College does not participate in nor certify any alternative loan programs.
This is a summary of the process. For more information on the student loan process see All about student loans.