Schoolcraft College and the Alzheimer’s Association have launched a Dementia Care Certificate program to address the growing need for professionals with expertise in dementia care as the prevalence of dementia increases.
The curriculum was developed by the Alzheimer’s Association in collaboration with Schoolcraft College. Classes are interactive and provide practical learning which can be applied in the workplace immediately. To qualify for a Dementia Care Certificate, participants must successfully complete five required classes and two elective classes totaling 16–19 hours of coursework. It is recommended that Fundamentals of Dementia Care be taken first.
The curriculum covers topics such as:
- Fundamentals of Dementia Care
- Making Meaningful Connections
- Combating Caregiver Stress
- Making the Most of Mealtime
- Understanding Safe & Unsafe Wandering
- Remove Restraints to Maximize Freedom
- Team Building & Leading Your Care Team
- Care at the End of Life
- Minimizing Fall Risks