|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|BIOL 114||Basic Human Nutrition||(1-0) 1 Cr. Hrs.|
This course provides a basic study of human nutrition with emphasis on scientific principles, metabolism and the requirements for nutrients. The role of nutrition in optimizing health throughout the human lifecycle will be explored. Disease processes that require special nutritional support are studied.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Evaluate the recommended requirements for each of the six classes of nutrients.
- Categorize nutrients into the appropriate class.
- Explain the digestion, absorption and metabolism of nutrients in the human body.
- Examine the role of nutrition in optimizing health and preventing disease throughout the human life cycle.
- Identify disease processes that require special nutritional support.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the BIOL section of the current course schedule for availability.