|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|CAP 191||Externship||(1-15) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
This course is designed to give the student additional work experience in a first hand quality run establishment. This will be done by rotating through various work stations. A weekly log book will be generated and reviewed to track the students' progress. The instructor will do a skill assessment based on the written project at the end of the semester.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- This is an elective course and requires departmental approval for enrollment.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the various work stations in the externship operation.
- Summarize the production lists used in the operation.
- Explain the HAACP sanitation standards for the operation.
- Explain the standard specification of the products used in the operation.
- Summarize the processes used for purchasing and inventory control for the operation.
- Summarize the processes used for the issuing and storage of product for the operation.
- Document the recipes used in each station of the operation.
- Explain the skills learned in each station of the operation.
- Summarize the operation’s menu's relationship with each station.
- Explain nutritional components of the operation's menu(s).
- Explain the mise en place of each station assignment.
- Provide a financial analysis of the operation’s menu.
- Explain the production work flow of the operation.
- Relate the integration of the computer front of the house programs to the kitchen operation.
- Relate the integration of the computer back of the house programs to the kitchen operation.
- Summarize the front of the house policies and procedures used in the operation.
- Summarize the various knife skills techniques obtained at each station of the operation.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the CAP section of the current course schedule for availability.