|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|CAP 242||À la Carte||(4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.|
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to apply modern techniques in the preparation and presentation of food using sauté and grill techniques. Students will gain an understanding of the entremetier, garde manger and food storage stations. Proper lock-down and clean up procedure will be taught. Preparation and presentation of salads, cold meats, sandwiches as well as plate presentation will also be taught.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- CAP 103 and all core CAP 100 level courses.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Exercise the proper cooking techniques for the main entree items.
- Exercise the proper cooking techniques for the vegetables and side dishes.
- Exercise the proper cooking techniques for the hot and cold appetizers.
- Exercise the proper cooking techniques for the cold entree and salad selections.
- Coordinate the fire and hold times as communicated by the expediter.
- Assemble the products and tools necessary to successfully set up a proper work station.
- Assemble appropriate plate presentations.
- Differentiate the functions of each station in an ala carte kitchen.
- Prepare menu items from the grill, sauté, roast and cold stations.
- Identify appropriate garnish for all plated menu items.
- Illustrate proper clean up, handling and storage of daily food items.
- Demonstrate the correct knife skills appropriate for the food application.
- Analyze a comprehensive restaurant menu that reflects proper utilization of both food choices and written description.
- Create a comprehensive restaurant menu that reflects proper utilization of both food choices and written description.
- Explain principles of proper sanitation and wholesome food handling practices.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the CAP section of the current course schedule for availability.