|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|CAP 260||Competitive Ice Carving||(2-2) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
This course will present safety procedures related to ice handling, tools and equipment used in ice carving. Qualities of carving ice, proper care and sharpening of tools are also covered. Use of templates and production of basic carvings will be accomplished. This is an elective course.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the unique structure of carving ice.
- Differentiate the applications of each hand tool used in ice-carving.
- Identify proper use of mechanical ice-carving equipment.
- Demonstrate proper use of mechanical ice-carving equipment.
- Examine safe ice handling and carving procedures.
- Explain proper tempering techniques for ice-carving.
- Interpret competitive ice-carving criteria.
- Produce competitive quality ice-carvings.
- Demonstrate design transfer from artwork to the block of ice.
- Demonstrate safe ice-carving practices.
- Analyze the judging criteria for ice-carvings.
- Demonstrate proper tempering techniques for ice-carving.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the CAP section of the current course schedule for availability.