|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|CAP 297||Salon Competition 2||(2-3) 4 Cr. Hrs.|
A continuation of Salon Competition 1 for students who have decided to compete at state, national and/or international level culinary competition(s). The students must have demonstrated proficiency for competition in Salon Competition 1 to be approved as participants in this advanced course. Selected students form a College Culinary Team and, as such, can represent Schoolcraft College in culinary competition(s).
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Approval to participate is made by the Chef Instructor and satisfactory completion of
- CAP 295.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Prepare to compete in a Culinary competition.
- Identify quality food displays for Culinary competitions.
- Identify the components of a properly balanced food display.
- Produce the components of a properly balanced food display.
- Produce hot food presentations for competition.
- Produce cold food presentations for competition.
- Prepare functional garnishes for cold food presentations.
- Prepare functional garnishes for hot food presentations.
- Demonstrate proper slicing techniques.
- Demonstrate proper portioning techniques.
- Demonstrate basic culinary cooking fundamentals.
- Demonstrate proper sanitation procedures.
- Show proper layout in the presentation of food.
- Evaluate strong line/weak line theory.
- Demonstrate proper transportation of foods.
- Develop mystery basket menus.
- Adapt in a team environment.
- Complete the requirements necessary for an ACF (American Culinary Federation) membership.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the CAP section of the current course schedule for availability.