|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|COLLS 050||College Reading||(4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.|
This course focuses on developing vocabulary and comprehension skills in group and lab settings. Students will explore and develop reading strategies to improve efficiency.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies.
- Utilize reading comprehension strategies when reading text.
- Assess word parts to aid with new vocabulary.
- Interpret contextual clues to aid with new vocabulary.
- Differentiate main ideas and supporting details within paragraphs
- Analyze the central point and major support elements in an essay.
- Discriminate among five major writing patterns.
- Construct accurate topic sentences for incomplete paragraphs.
- Document seminal events while reading an autobiography.
- Generate short answer essays from reading notes.
- Summarize essential elements of an essay or argument.
- Formulate a valid response to an essay or argument.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the COLLS section of the current course schedule for availability.