|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|COLLS 050||College Reading||(4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.|
This course focuses on developing vocabulary and comprehension skills in group and lab settings. Students will explore and develop reading strategies to improve reading and vocabulary fluency.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies for different types of text.
- Differentiate between stated and unstated main ideas and supporting details.
- Analyze vocabulary using word parts and context clues.
- Identify five major organizational writing patterns.
- Identify the author's purpose.
- Acquire 300 new vocabulary words.
- Recognize valid inferences.
- Analyze the central point and major supporting elements in an essay.
- Document seminal events while reading an autobiography.
- Generate short answer essays from reading notes.
- Summarize essential elements of an essay.
- Formulate a valid, documented response to an essay.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the COLLS section of the current course schedule for availability.