|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|COLLS 053||Critical Reading and Thinking Applications||(4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.|
This course is designed to prepare students to successfully handle college level reading assignments. Reading comprehension techniques and vocabulary development strategies are emphasized using a variety of materials. Techniques will be applied to selected materials and textbooks students are currently using.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- COLLS 050 or appropriate reading placement score.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify main idea and relevant details in college textbooks and essays.
- Differentiate appropriate reading strategies for various types of text.
- Identify appropriate inferences.
- Analyze vocabulary words utilizing context and word structures.
- Explore the question and answer relationship in reading and test preparation.
- Develop critical reading strategies for essay and argument.
- Initiate the use of appropriate organizational techniques to consolidate information.
- Demonstrate appropriate test preparation techniques.
- Investigate test taking strategies.
- Diagnose testing errors.
- Summarize essential elements of an essay, argument, and/or text.
- Formulate a valid response to an essay or argument.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the COLLS section of the current course schedule for availability.