|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|ENG 050||Modern English Grammar||(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
This is the first of a two-part sequence (ENG 050/055) designed to prepare students for composition courses. The course content focuses on major grammatical concepts and writing. A grade of 2.0 or better in ENG 050 is necessary to enter ENG 055.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify parts of speech correctly: nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, and conjunctions.
- Identify sentence parts correctly: subjects, verbs, phrases, and clauses.
- Express complete thoughts using simple, compound, complex, and compound/complex sentences.
- Apply conventional punctuation correctly to all types of sentences.
- Use a dictionary and thesaurus to identify words types and build vocabulary.
- Compose well developed paragraphs.
- Revise paragraphs for coherence, accuracy, and clarity.
- Edit paragraphs for sentence skills: grammar, spelling, punctuation, and word choice.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
- Develop proficiency in modern grammar.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the ENG section of the current course schedule for availability.