|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|ENG 055||Building Writing Skills||(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
This is the second of a two-part sequence (ENG 050/ENG 055 or ESL 052/ENG 055) designed to prepare students for composition courses. The course focuses on the writing process, paragraph development, revision and essay structure. A grade of 2.0 or better in ENG 055 is necessary to enter ENG 101.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Satisfactory placement test score or minimum grade of 2.0 in ENG 050 or ESL 052.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Use brainstorming, clustering, or outlining to generate and organize ideas.
- Use basic paragraph structure.
- Create effective topic and concluding sentences.
- Employ different strategies in writing well organized paragraphs including but not limited to description, narration, comparison/contrast, classification, cause and effect, and/or illustration.
- Apply conventional punctuation accurately to a variety of sentences.
- Develop vocabulary skills to achieve college level diction.
- Revise writing for errors in usage, sentence structure, word choice, and manuscript format.
- Edit paragraphs for errors in usage, sentence structure, word choice, and manuscript format.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the ENG section of the current course schedule for availability.