|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|MUSIC 153||Music Theory 1||(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
Harmonic progression; chords of 1st and 2nd inversion will be the format of this course. Phrase structure and cadences will be introduced. Technique of harmonization and non-harmonic tones will be explored.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- A basic knowledge of scales, key signatures, intervals and triads.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Read music fundamentals.
- Write music fundamentals.
- Demonstrate increased speed in reading and writing music fundamentals throughout the course.
- Partwrite in root position.
- Partwrite using inversions.
- Construct seventh chords in all forms and inversions.
- Harmonize a chorale-like melody.
- Partwrite non-harmonic tones.
- Analyze the harmonic content of music excerpts.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the MUSIC section of the current course schedule for availability.