|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|MUSIC 164||Music History 1 - 17th and 18th Centuries||(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
This course will be a detailed survey of literature, history and musical materials of the Baroque and Classical eras.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the sociocultural influences on Baroque and Classical music.
- Explain the function of music in both eras.
- Differentiate the characteristics of musical style relative to each period.
- Explore practice characteristics.
- Explore performance characteristics.
- Identify important vocal compositions.
- Identify important instrumental compositions.
- Identify important composers of music in both eras.
- Identify important writers on music in both eras.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the MUSIC section of the current course schedule for availability.