|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|MUSIC 257||Piano Teaching Techniques and Materials 2||(3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.|
This course is designed for teachers enrolled in the Piano Teaching Certificate Program. It is the second course in a series and emphasizes techniques and methods for teaching the intermediate piano student.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- MUSIC 247 or consent of department.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain early childhood development as it relates to intermediate piano study.
- Identify appropriate intermediate piano materials for individual students.
- Demonstrate appropriate sequencing of intermediate piano materials.
- Explain appropriate musicianship skills for the third through sixth years of study.
- Integrate appropriate musicianship skills into a student's piano lesson program.
- Explain how to prepare students for recitals.
- Explain the Michigan Music Teacher Association (MMTA) and national certification opportunities.
- Explain how to prepare students for state and national testing programs.
- Evaluate advanced students' performance skills at these grade levels at major music festivals in the local area.
- Identify appropriate pedagogical texts and reference books for a professional library.
- Expand the personal professional plan for operating a private teaching studio developed in Music 247.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the MUSIC section of the current course schedule for availability.