|Course||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|SPAN 101||Elementary Spanish 1||(4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.|
This course is intended for students who have no previous education in Spanish. The course will cover basic grammar patterns and build competence in all four skill areas: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Through varied activities, emphasis will be placed on oral proficiency and communication. An appreciation of Hispanic culture will be an integral part of the course.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Determine the meaning of beginning Spanish texts.
- Write grammatically correct sentences in beginning Spanish.
- Discriminate distinctive beginning Spanish sounds.
- Interpret the meaning of spoken beginning Spanish.
- Pronounce beginning Spanish words, phrases and sentences correctly.
- Speak Spanish clearly and accurately with beginning fluency.
- Integrate beginning Spanish vocabulary into simple sentences, paragraphs and dialog.
- Apply correctly beginning rules of Spanish grammar, syntax, tense and gender.
- Communicate effectively in beginning Spanish through reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- Compare beginning aspects of Spanish and English grammar and syntax.
- Explore culture in this beginning Spanish course.
- Acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for further exploration of the Spanish language and Hispanic culture.
Note: This course may not be offered every semester.
Please check the SPAN section of the current course schedule for availability.